Saturday, September 25, 2004

My truck works fine (for a change) whats your excuse?






If you have been driving Route 80 through Pennsyltucky it is one of the most boring states to drive through. Now this particular evening I took a break for a quick snooze (2am) at Snowshoe. I stop here alot when I drive out to Illinois. As I'm trying to get comfortable and go to sleep, a gentlemen (truck driver) asks me if I could help fix his rig. Which figures, my truck is working fine so somebody else nearby has a meltdown-that I need to fix argh! Anyway I politely tell him I will help him in a few hours, like when the Sun comes up and he politely agrees.

Boy did those hours pass fast. I wake up, grab a candy bar and coke out of the machine (try to kickstart the brain over). I look around to see if he was still around or maybe sleeping. I walk back to my truck and fire her up. "Hapless Driver" appears out of thin air and asks if I'm ready. I said sure and asked what the problem was. He needed a jumpstart. NO PROBLEM......

Now this is where it gets hairy. I need to point my truck up the entrance ramp facing oncoming traffic. As you can see there are rigs all over the place. The truck traffic coming to the rest stop is coming entirely too fast since none of them know where I am parked. So for the next 1/2 hour or so I set my truck on high idle and charge up his battery pack of 3 or 6 batteries. After a few shots it kicks over and I hop into the cab and see that his alternator isn't moving at all. The batteries looked horrible but the lack of alternator is going to be a real kicker since he's going to the Chicago Suburbs. I said don't use any lights and maybe pick-up a battery, but you need an alternator. He offered $75.00 for my services and I flatly refused figuring he's already having a bad day and there is no way he'll make it to the Windy City with me giving him a half hour charge. He "No no, charge me, its my boss's truck and he'll refund me the cash as long as you write your name and address". I said "fine" wrote up a receipt and took the cash. The owner should be ashamed of sending a driver out with batteries that look like that.

Oh well....

Ohio....next stop......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home